Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If you eat soup...fall will come!

Well, maybe not, but that's the premise under which I'm operating for now!!! The last two days have actually been below 90 degrees here and that's pretty cool for us for September. I keep thinking that it's Mother Nature teasing us and we'll be blasted by 100's any day now, but I'm hopeful that doesn't happen and that we're now in the steady decline of temps that lead us into a fall-like feeling!

I had some frozen fresh corn calling my name from the freezer as well as some crabmeat that I needed to use up and I remembered this afternoon a recipe that Joe over at Culinary in the Country had made a while back. I had attempted to make it one evening only to find that I didn't have the baking potatoes that I needed. Tonight, I was in luck! I had everything I needed to make this soup with a small alteration.

Joe's original version called for shrimp, but I had crabmeat and I wanted to eat it. It's been calling my name from the fridge for about 4 days now and I hadn't made it into crabcakes yet, so the soup was a perfect use! This was a pretty quick and easy meal. I think it might have taken me about 30 minutes from start to finish! The soup was filling and substantial and really tasty! My only wish was that I would have had some crusty bread on hand to scoop up the bottom of the bowl when I was done!



Corn-and-Shrimp Chowder with Bacon
(Adapted from Everyday Food)
(And stolen from Joe's Blog)

6 ears corn
4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2" strips
6 to 8 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon Cajun or seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chopped dried thyme
16 ounces large peeled and deveined shrimp (I used lump crabmeat)
salt and fresh ground black pepper

Husk and remove silk from the corn cobs. Slice kernels off each cob. Scrape each cob down with a spoon to release any pulp left on the cob.

In a large saucepan, add bacon and cook over medium-high until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon (leaving drippings behind) to a paper tower-lined plate to drain.

Stir scallion whites and potatoes into the pan - cook, stirring, until the scallions have softened, about 2 minutes. Add flour - cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, vegetable broth, Cajun (or seafood) seasoning and thyme. Bring mixture to a boil - reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn kernels and pulp - cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and scallion greens - cook until shrimp are just opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season chowder with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Serve each portion topped with crisped bacon.

Makes about 4 servings.


YUM!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did have some crusty homemade bread in your freezer. Did you forget? The soup looks great however Dad and I have been commenting on your potato pancakes since Monday Night. That dinner was really delicious!

staci said...

what do i have to do to get an invitation for dinner, this looks so good.

Kim said...

Terri, When I lived there, I used to turn my air WAY down sometimes in August and September to pretend it was soup weather :D

AGirlintheSouth said...

Staci - If I had enough chairs to seat your whole family, I'd probably have you over for dinner more often!!! =) There's a container of leftovers in the fridge if you're looking for a good lunch today -

Kim - I sometimes do that at night so I can sleep with more blankets! =)

Nana - We'll have potato pancakes again soon - no reason to wait almost a year each time!!!

Anonymous said...

I love soup as well and since I am ex texan living in the northeast now... soup season is around the corner... Yeah