Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Cobble-Cobble

I know, it's not Thanksgiving .... that would have been Gobble, Gobble! But today is a holiday. Labor Day. I'll take whatever holiday they want to throw at me as long as I get to have a 3 day weekend! What is it about a day off that doesn't burn your vacation time that is sooooo satisfying? I've spent this holiday weekend watching the Astros, having dinner with friends at a great restaurant, have drinks with friends on my back deck and cooking with Staci. It's been a great weekend.

Today I'm going to be making one of the recipes that Staci and I made on Saturday. It was so tasty that I'd like to have it again this weekend....Individual Raspberry Cobblers. These were sweet and tart and had this wonderful ooey gooey carmelized cruchiness that I'm craving all over again. I can't help it. I love a good dessert that includes fruit.

I had to go buy some self-rising flour. I didn't have any and neither did Staci - but now that I've discovered that I can turn it into these treats, I'll be keeping some on hand!


To the flour we added some sugar, and milk....


Then it needed some vanilla - we used this bottle that Staci's had brewing for a while now. You should make your own vanilla extract, too. Grab a bottle of vodka - it doesn't have to be a fancy kind - and add some vanilla beans that you've sliced open from one end to the other. Shake the bottle every now and then, but let it sit at least a month to brew before you start using it. Then every now and then when the liquid gets low, add some more vodka and when you need to, add some more beans. Voila - homemade vanilla extract!


Once you have all the ingrdients mixed you add the batter in 1/4 cups to a greased muffin pan, top with a few raspberries (we used 3 per cobbler) and popped them into the oven. Now, you bake these for 45 minutes and if you're like me you'll get a bit nervous at the 20-25 minute mark thinking that they're browning too quickly and too much and will certainly burn. LEAVE THEM IN THE OVEN!!!! Trust me....you'll be glad you did.

When you take them out, they'll be brown and crispy...that's a gooooood sign. =) Invert the pan and sprinkle them with some granulated sugar and serve them warm, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Yum. yum. yum. these are sooooooooo good!


Individual Raspberry Cobblers
Makes 24 cobblers

2 cups self-rising flour (must use self-rising)
2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh raspberries
Extra sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine flour with sugar, then whisk in milk. Whisk in melted butter and vanilla.
Pour 1/4 cup batter into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle a few raspberries on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown and crisp around the edges.
Invert onto a cooling rack and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.


So, I think I'm going to make some of these today...despite my broken kitchen sink.

Happy Labor Day!
(Did you know it's a holiday that we stole from Canada? It's true. Thanks Canada, for the day off!)

2 comments:

Sherri Sakson said...

Yum! These look AWESOME!!!

AGirlintheSouth said...

They're really great Sherri! And, they're easy, to boot. The one downside of this recipe is that at it's current proportions it makes 24, yes 24 individual cobblers. I'll be halving it in the future!