Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

30 Days of Beverages - Day 23 - Citrus Bonanza!

Day 23 brings you two drinks!!! One is compliments of me (and another of my brother's recipes) and the other is compliments of the weeone who hates to be left out of happy hour! Is it odd that my 7 year loves a good happy hour? If so, you can blame it on my mother - yes, the same woman who claims "there's never enough vodka" and is an addictions counselor!!! When the weeone was pretty small, my parents would include her in happy hour. She'd get an acrylic wine glass full of cranberry juice and little bowl of puffy cheetos to share with Pap (my dad). She's loved it ever since. Rarely are drinks of any sort (milk included) poured in my house where she doesn't say "Cheers!".

So, this afternoon, something amazing happened. Since I started my 30 days of beverages all of my friends hound me about when I'm going to have them over for the drink of the day. I've told them all the same thing - get your butt over here and I'll mix you a drink. So far - no one's taken advantage of my "bar-a-pa-looza" event...that is, until today.

I was on my way home from the Astros game when my phone rang. It was my friend Sherri asking what plans I had for this evening. "None at all!" I replied. She wanted to come have the drink of the day with her husband, Will, and their new Kindergartner, Zoe. My reply? "Come on!"

I was so excited to have someone to drink with - finally, I would not appear to be a raving lush!

So, the Sakson family joined the weeone and I for Happy Hour tonight, followed by dinner at my fave little mexican dive, Don Jose's. It was a blast all around.

The upside of this for you? 2 drinks. I made Orange Crushes as the drink of the day, but the weeone also made homemade lemonade for herself and Zoe! So just for today, one for you and one for the kids.

Sherri took over the camera duty...she was excited to photograph "the process".


It turns out that what Sherri really wanted was an "action shot", so here it is...are you amazed yet? What you should be amazed at is all the stuff on my refrigerator and kitchen counter!!!


The end result? A tangy refreshing cocktail that is PERFECT for the next time you're poolside..


Orange Crush
(compliments of my big brother, Doug)

1 1/2 shots orange or citron vodka
1 shot triple sec
3 ounces orange juice (fresh is best!)
2 ounces Sprite or Ginger Ale

Mix it all, garnish with orange slice and serve. Serves 1.




The Weeone's Lemonade

2 lemons, juiced
3/4 cups sugar
water to taste

Juice the lemons and add the juice to a pitcher. Add sugar and then water until the taste is perfect! Serves 2-4 cups.


No comments: