Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

30 Days of Beverages - Day 15 - You asked for it...

When I posted the sangria by the pool the other day, I mentioned that I really like to make my own white wine sangria. It's true. I do. I got a recipe years ago from my mom's friend Mabeth, so in my little world it's always been know as "Mabeth's White Wine Sangria". I have no idea where the recipe originated and frankly, it doesn't matter to me. It just good.

The first time I drank this sangria I was at a wedding shower for either my friend Ellen or Sally, who is Mabeth's daughter. Several of us were all drinking it and at some point in the evening this group of girls that I'd grown up with and I all sat on the edge of the fireplace giggling and having a good time when we suddenly look up and saw a beer can move. Yep, move. That only sent us further into uncontrollable laughter. My father finally revealed to the group of us that there was actually a bug under the empty beer can....but this sangria will always be known as the drink that made me think a beer an could dance. Consider yourself warned.

I started with a good array of booze and fruit...


First you have to marinate the fruit in the hard liquor and sugar.



Marinating is an overnight event, so plan in advance on this one (although I've done it as little as 4 hours and had success).

I generally serve this in a big pretty glass container, but this particular night we were headed to a pool party that was a farewell for some friends who are moving to Indonesia, so I needed to use something "poolside friendly", hence the plastic iced tea jar! It's great to have some cut fruit for the individual glasses as well!


Mabeth's White Wine Sangria

1/2 cup Cognac
1/2 cup Grand Marnier
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon
1 lime
1 orange
4 bottles dry white wine
1 quart ginger ale

Mix the cognac, grand marnier, sugar and the sliced fruit and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Combine fruit mixture with the wine and gingerale and serve over ice.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm loving this series you're doing :) And who can pass up a good sangria? YUM!

AGirlintheSouth said...

Ashley - I know I've posted this recipe to the CLBB before, but it really is a GREAT WW Sangria. It's one of those things that I'm routinely asked to bring to gatherings!