Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

30 Days of Beverages - Day 13 - Skinny Girls Need a Drink, Too!

The rise of the skinny girl cocktail over the past year or two has been fueled by a couple of things. Number one - booze and cocktails in general have a LOT of calories a lot of the time and number two - Bethany Frankel from The Real Housewives of New York gave girls nationwide hope for a good drink by talking about her "skinny girl margarita" incessantly on her show. She's rail thin and obsessed with low cal drinks.

So, when my friend Sherri handed me a magazine tear out with a whole host of "skinny girl" type cocktails, I felt it was my duty to make a few and test them for the masses. 6 beautiful cocktails are featured and none has more than 155 calories per drink. Quite a bit less than the 1000 calorie margaritas we all succumb to from time to time.

These drinks required me to do a little shopping at my favorite liquor store, Spec's.


The first I wanted to try was something the magazine attributes to Anne Hathaway - cutie that she is- and is called a SkinnyGirl Frangelini. Now, I've never been the type to keep Frangelico on hand, so it was one of my many booze purchases this month. I'm SO glad that I did!!! Several drinks over the coming days will include it and so far not one has been a disappointment. I may have just discovered myself as a fan of this great hazelnut liqueur.



SkinnyGirl Frangelini
155 calories / drink

1/2 ounce Frangelico
2 ounces Vanilla Vodka
1 1/2 ounces club soda

Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker full of ice, then strain into a martini glass.

YUMMMMMMMM.....this one will be a great fall drink. I can just picture myself humming "Chesnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at my nose...." with this drink in one hand and Christmas ornaments in the other. Cheers!

2 comments:

Sherri Sakson said...

I think I'm headed to Spec's tomorrow to get stuff to make this one. This sounds incredible. And it looks so much more appetizing with your photo display than it did in my tear out magazine page! :)

AGirlintheSouth said...

I really did like this one! And I have your book and magazine tearout for you. I'll bring them by this weekend if you're going to be around. Thanks again for letting me borrow them!