Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Comfort food = Healing food

My recovery from surgery is going fairly well. I'm being impeccably cared for by mother as well as a group of dedicated and fun friends who come take my mind off the pain and the boredom. I've not been watching tv which I thought I'd be glued to, but rather am enjoying the quiet of my house during the day. It's been peaceful and nice. Of course, pain pill help. =) Everything seems happy and rainbows and giggles when you're high as a kite!

Obviously, I'm not cooking on a daily basis since standing isn't a possibility for me right now. But my mom has made another version of the Pam Anderson Crustless Quiche recipe (crab bell pepper and corn - it was tasty) and I decided this morning that I would do a little something from my wheelchair.

My mom had graciously put all the ingredients and things I'd need out on the counter for me yesterday, so whipping up some sweet and hearty oatmeal this morning was a piece of cake - even for a gimp like me!

This is another recipe from Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave. I'm really falling in love with the book more and more with each recipe. Anyway, The Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal had jumped off the page at me the very first time I read through the book so I knew I would make it eventually, but what better for when you're trying to heal that good comfort food like oatmeal? Add some dried fruit to oatmeal and I'm in!

The recipe itself is rather simple and if you're using quick-cooking oats takes less than 5 minutes to put together. So this is a recipe that a working mom can have on the table for the kids before school without disrupting her normal routine at all. This would also be a great addition to an array of foods on Christmas morning (although I might try dried cranberries in it for that time of year). This is obviously a versatile recipe and I feel certain it will become a regular in our house!



  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 1 cup Old Fashioned Oats, or Quick Cooking Oats
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup dried cherries
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons cherry jam, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk, plus more to taste
Put water, oats, salt and cherries into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes for Old Fashioned Oats, or 1 minute for Quick Cooking Oats. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and cherry jam. Put into serving bowls and pour 2 tablespoons of milk over each bowl.

Nutritional Analysis per serving ( 1 1/4 cups)
Calories 265
Total Fat 3.5 grams
Saturated Fat 0.5 gram
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Carbohydrates 54.5 grams
Protein 7 grams
Fiber 4 grams

No comments: