Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

I have joined the cult...I love Dave Ramsey!

I've heard a lot about Dave Ramsey. I've listened to his radio show a few times. I have a friend, Sarah (not the same one as the dietician), who has one of his bumper stickers on her car. It says "Debt is normal - Be Weird!". She and her husband are budgeting pros and they live below their means so they can save for the future as well as for today. I've been intrigued for a while now and have many conversations with my friend about it. I started budgeting in November, but when the "oh my gosh it's Christmas!" shopping rush happened...I sort of gave up.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and my friend, Becky, emails me to say she can get discounted tickets to Total Money Makeover Live event with Dave Ramsey. My interest was already piqued, so I checked my calendar and quickly agreed to go with her. I really had no idea what to expect. Would it be a boring 5 hour talk about investing? Would it be someone telling me I was a bad person for wanting to spend money on new clothes or tvs or toys for my child? Would it be a room full of hippies that wear hemp clothing and drive Vegas? I wasn't sure what to expect.



What I got was amazing! It was 5 hours of entertaining education. Dave's methodology and philosophy are simple enough - do what your grandmother told you to do - save money to buy what you want and pay cash. It's pretty much that easy. Dave, of course, has several steps to get you to this place and recommendations about how much money to save, how to do it, how to invest, where to invest, etc. It was valuable information.

I think what surprised and delighted me the most was that Dave recognized God's role in our lives - all parts, financial included. He says that if you read the book of Proverbs enough you'll have a PhD in finance...I might try that. =) Anyway, I highly recommend checking Dave and his philosophy out. If you do, you might try being Weird.

Click on the link above to check out Dave's website and learn more!

No comments: