Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Getting Down to Business...

2009 is going to be my year. If I want to succeed, I've got to start it off on the right foot. What's the right foot?

#1 - Do what Sarah says. If there's one thing I've learned over the past 10 years it's that even if I think I know best for me, I don't always do best for me. Time to change that.

#2 - Stop eating out so much. The weeone and I eat out an exorbitant amount. What's crazy about that is that I love to cook! I always feel rushed though and never plan well enough to actually get a meal on the table in the evening. That's changing. I participate in a cooking bulletin board. I've been on it for years. One of the things I've watched the others on the board do over the years is plan menus each week. So, today I sat down with Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave, Pam Anderson's Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great, Rachel Ray's Big Orange Book, and the latest issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine (Jan/Feb 2009) and I planned a menu. I planned 5 meals between tomorrow and Thursday of next week. Four of the five are new recipes to me, but I figure I need to expand my horizons. So, over the next week I'm going to share my food with you. I'm not a photographer, but I'll try to take some decent photos as well as provide the recipes and tell you what I think and what the weeone thinks.

#3 - I have to move more. I've done a couple of at home DVDs in the mornings over the past few weeks and I'd like to keep that up. Monday starts our normal schedule again and hopefully that will help set this new move more program into a more set rhythm.

#4 - I have to have fun. If I know anything about myself it's that if I stop having fun and enjoying what I'm doing, I'll just stop. To keep this up and be successful in the "My Year of 2009" it's gotta be fun....so let's keep it interesting.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Sounds like you've got a great plan. I do a menu plan every week, I sit down with a couple of cookbooks and the grocery ads and write it all down. I do a lot of the prep work (cutting up vegetables, etc) on Sundays before the week starts. I think it makes things easier. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,

I just found your blog this evening. Good luck with your plans for 2009! The not-eating-out so much sounds like a really good practical goal. You'll save money and definitely eat healthier. I'm looking forward to seeing your menus. Also, your little girl is adorable. I love her hair.

Unknown said...

Good Luck with everything you are planning to do! And happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I'm also trying to plan more meals -- since it helps me make better food choices. My take out choices, let's say not the best picks calorie and nutrition wise. Some nights I'm just not in the mood to cook, it helps to have some good dinner choices stashed in the freezer. If having super busy day, I'll just put something from the freezer to frig. It's often soup, so then I'll just toss a salad.